General Information – NHS cost reimbursement for treatment abroad (for British Patients)🇬🇧

👉2021 update: After Brexit (31st of Dec 2021) rules on refunds have changed. You can no longer apply for reimbursement for the planned treatment performed in a private medical facility abroad (in the EU or EEA). The EU Directive route has ceased to apply.

We would like to thank those, who trusted us and went through the process of achieving reimbursement for treatment abroad with us. In the past years, we have helped many British and Irish Patients receiving the NHS funded, top quality treatment abroad in private hospitals.💙

👉You can still use the S2 Route, which may entitle you to NHS funding for planned state healthcare treatment in an EU country. Remember, that is only applies to the state hospitals, where you will be treated on the same rules as the country citizen.


If you live in Ireland:

General Information – HSE cost reimbursement for treatment abroad (For Patients from Ireland)🇮🇪

👉Cross Border Healthcare and Refund for Treatment Abroad (HSE)

The Cross Border Directive (CBD) allows you to get healthcare in another Poland.

You can access this healthcare in the same way you’d get public healthcare in Ireland.

The healthcare must be planned. You need a valid referral and you must qualify for the healthcare you want as a public patient in Ireland. We will be happy to guide you through the process.

You pay for your treatment upfront, but then you apply to the HSE for reimbursement towards the cost of the healthcare.

👉If you are having healthcare that involves an overnight stay in a hospital, you can apply for prior authorisation before you go abroad. which we kindly recommend, and will be happy to help you with it.


Please find more information here: https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/1/schemes/cross-border-directive/appreimbursement/

Abbreviated rules for getting cost reimbursement from HSE for treatment in Poland:

As a public Irish patient, you can apply for the Treatment Abroad Scheme (TAS) to cover the cost of treatment in another country in Europe, in this case, in Poland.

All treatment requested must be within Irish law and either:

  • not available in Ireland, or
  • not available within the time normally necessary to get it in Ireland – this will take into account your current health and the likely course of your condition or disease

The amount you can get covered depends on the treatment that you need. Usually, since prices for treatments in Poland are lower than in Ireland, you may claim the full reimbursement. 

Only a public hospital consultant based in Ireland can refer you for treatment abroad. A GP can not refer you to this scheme. You can not refer yourself either.

You can only apply for the Treatment Abroad Scheme if you are ordinarily resident in Ireland.

‘Ordinarily resident’ means that you are living in Ireland and intend to live here for at least one year.

The HSE would need to assess and approve your application before you travel for treatment.

Your Polish consultant must confirm that you need treatment abroad. He/She must also confirm that the treatment is:

  • medically necessary and will meet your needs
  • a proven form of medical treatment, not an experimental or test treatment
  • in a recognised public hospital or other institution run by a registered medical practitioner
  • in a hospital that will accept the Treatment Abroad Scheme form 'EU/EEA form E112 (IE)’

source: https://www2.hse.ie/services/treatment-abroad-scheme/treatment-abroad-scheme.html (14.02.2022)